Friday, August 29, 2014

Love is Sacrifice

Photo Credit: Stanislav Traykov
Michelangelo's Pietà
Young people today are searching for genuine love. They are looking for a love that leaves them fulfilled, not empty. They long to be cherished, and not used for someone's gratification. Many people have lost sight of what pure love is. But how do we know what genuine love looks like? And, how is it found?

Firstly, ladies and gentlemen, in order to find love, you must find yourselves. To find yourself, you need to view yourself through God's eyes. Even if you aren't religious, just imagine someone who loves you so dearly that He died for you in the worst imaginable way so that you might be saved. Imagine someone who loves you unconditionally, even when you may not love Him back, or know that He is there. Imagine someone who will listen to you, no matter what you have done in the past, or will do in the future. It breaks His heart to see you hurt, and He wants so desperately to help you.

The love that God has for every person knows no bounds. If you aren't a person of faith, know that there is someone out there who loves you more than you can fathom. When you love yourself and see yourself as a cherished treasure, you come closer to finding out who you are.

I am continually discovering who I am. Ever since I started to learn about Theology of the Body and, particularly now as I share it with others, I have never felt such joy and happiness. I live out chastity and purity and it doesn't weaken my relationships with people; it strengthens them. St. Pope John Paul II said that chastity is a sure way to happiness. I love who I am: all my odd likes, hobbies, aspirations, and, yes, even my faults.
If I didn't make mistakes, I wouldn't be me! It has taken me some time to understand myself, but I have discovered (even without dating!), that if someone truly loves me, they will sacrifice for me. If someone loves you, they will want to sacrifice for love of you. They won't be "willing" to save sex for marriage. They will do it because they understand the sanctity and beauty of sex, and because they know the importance of protecting your dignity. Dignity is "the inherent and unchanging value of all persons as a direct result of their being created by God in His image and likeness."¹ St. Pope John Paul II said that, "It is the duty of every man to protect the dignity of every woman."² Women also have the duty to protect the dignity of men.

Sometimes it is hard to be chaste and pure, but doesn't the thought of someone who saves their sexuality for you, and you alone, give you hope? And even for those who haven't had an easy past and have experienced hurt, finding out who you are and knowing that you are valued can help you and lead you to love someone else.

By being confident in your identity and with the thought that someone loves you eternally, you can grow to recognize true and pure love. Love is sacrificing and if someone does not want to sacrifice for you, then you know that what they feel for you is not love. Search for the love you deserve, and don't be afraid to set standards.

I will pray for you on your journey!

(I would love to answer any questions you might have! If you have a question, please comment below!)

[¹ ², Theology of the Body for Teens, Jason and Crystalina Evert and Brian Butler]
www.chastityproject.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment