Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Virtue of Humility


I have a Pinterest account, and on it, I follow a lot of Catholic boards, which often will post religious images, prayers, and quotes. It occupies 95% of my news feed. Ever since Lent began, I have seen one specific prayer multiple times. The Litany of Humility kept popping up in my feed, and I finally decided to look at it and pray it. It was one of the hardest prayers I have ever said. It asks for deliverance from our own fears and desires, to change our focus from ourselves to others and, most importantly, to God.


The virtue of humility encompasses a recognition of one's faults and defects, the esteeming of others, and a reverence for God. We recognize that we make mistakes and sin, realizing our humanity, and in understanding that, we can understand that we are no superior to any other person. Even when we are gifted with many talents, they are still gifts, given by God. Being humble doesn't belittle the gifts that God has given us, rather, it causes us to focus on our own humanity and mortality when we are tempted to think of ourselves in a higher regard than our peers. 

In being humble, we also recognize the gifts and talents that God has given others. One good example is this: Imagine that there is someone you don't ever see eye-to-eye with. You aren't a very big fan of this person, but they are very good at doing something you like (it could be anything). Instead of having your opinions rule your judgement, abandon what you may feel and think about how that person has been gifted with his/her talents. God has given them that skill set for a reason, and in order to see that God's hand is present, you have to remove yourself from selfish and prideful thoughts. Humility allows one to step away from oneself and see the talents that others have been given. In the above example, it would take even greater humility to compliment that person for what they are good at. Complimenting others can require humility, as well.

Finally, humility stems from a great reverence for God. We surrender our own plans, desires, fears, etc.., because we recognize that we cannot do everything on our own. We can see how small and finite our lives are compared to how infinite and great God is. Often difficulty lies in abandoning control in life and handing all our hopes and dreams over to God, trusting that He will give us what we need, not in our time, but in His. This surrender of self enables God to work in our lives and in our relationships.

Humility is not an easy virtue, but it helps us to see beyond ourselves, and to the greatness of God in all things. One way that can help you to grow in this virtue is prayer. This is The Litany of Humility, which helps one to focus and surrender to the plans that God has in one's life.


The Litany of Humility


O Jesus, meek and humble of heart, 
Hear me. 

From the desire of being esteemed, 
Deliver me, O Jesus. 
From the desire of being loved, 
Deliver me, O Jesus. 
From the desire of being extolled, etc. 
From the desire of being honored, 
From the desire of being praised, 
From the desire of being preferred to others, 
From the desire of being consulted, 
From the desire of being approved, 
From the fear of being humiliated, 
From the fear of being despised, 
From the fear of suffering rebukes, 
From the fear of being calumniated, 
From the fear of being forgotten, 
From the fear of being ridiculed, 
From the fear of being wronged, 
From the fear of being suspected,

That others may be loved more than I, 
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. 
That others may be esteemed more than I, 
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. 
That, in the opinion of the world, others may increase 
and I may decrease, etc
That others may be chosen and I set aside, 
That others may be praised and I go unnoticed, 
That others may be preferred to me in everything,
That others may become holier than I, 
provided that I may become as holy as I should,

1 comment:

  1. Humility is a hard concept to grasp at times. This really has touched me. I think tonight needs a prayer. ^_^

    ReplyDelete