Thursday, November 6, 2014

Being Single: Not a Curse, Rather an Opportunity

Photo Credit: unsplash.com
A few weeks ago, I went to my cousin's wedding in Houston, Texas. It was so much fun! My cousin's bride was breathtaking; her dress was beautiful and she looked stunning. For most of the night, I was with my other cousin, whose boyfriend was with her at the reception. As with most weddings, a question was asked of me, "Are you single?" (This question actually means, "Do you have a special person in your life right now?") I replied, smiling guiltily, "Yup, I'm single."


I think, a lot of times, we don't see "being single" as something positive. We view it in a negative light. I can relate to that; I have never been in a relationship. There have certainly been boys that I have liked, but for various reasons, it never advanced to a relationship. It can be disheartening.

I have found frequently that being at college can be very lonely. I haven't found many people who hold the same values as I do. Promoting Theology of the Body is far from being an easy task, but it has been one of the most rewarding endeavors I have undertaken. Throughout my life, my friends have always been there to support me. I used to feel very self-conscious and saddened about the fact that I didn't have a relationship, and it isn't until recently that I realized how much friendships have helped me when I was in those tough spots. I stopped concentrating on what I didn't have and I began to see what I had right before my eyes.

I love friendships. They are the basis of every interpersonal relationship we create. For me, hanging out with those closest to me has made me happier because I am given the opportunity to connect to and help others. My best friend has been my greatest ally and confidant. I can tell her anything and not worry about what she might think. I also have some really good guy friends who are really fun to hang out with. We'll sometimes play videogames, watch movies, or do really simple things that are equally enjoyable.

Being single allows me to create and focus on amazing and loyal friendships with a variety of people. I have a few really close friends, not really a lot, but I trust them all very much. And I don't think it is important how many friends you have. I think it is important that you surround yourself with people who will not only build you up and challenge you, but also those who you can also build up and challenge as well. Someone recently told me, "I would rather be known well rather than well-known." I thought that comment was very profound. Sometimes we can get caught up in what is popular (like having a relationship) and who is popular and consequently, we miss the simple and beautiful opportunities in life.

This focus on friendship has helped me tremendously, particularly very recently. Concentrating on what is lacking from your life will only depress and sadden you. I have felt that. Realizing the fullness of what is present in your life is the most important part of being single. It allows for more positive thoughts, and it could also have the potential to create friendships that could develop into a relationship. Patience is very important, but focus on what you have and who you have right now. You never know what will happen...

Carpe diem!!

2 comments:

  1. I do agree with being single as being a direct way to strengthen friendships, but I also think that having that significant other to stand by your side to face the world is one of the most amazing feelings. I have actually found in my significant other a profound and deep friendship, and have cultivated many other friendships through him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I am in a relationship now, I hadn't been for well over two years before this. With that being, being single in college sucks. Utterly. Relationships can be a good thing! I am a good guy and I found a great girl, who is way out of my league, who makes me want to be a better person. Relationships are a good thing! You won't necessarily know until you try though (I didn't mean for that to sound rude)

    ReplyDelete