Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Looking for Answers and Finding More Questions

Photo Credit: Antoine Beauvillain
Who are you?

Go ahead. Pause and think about it.

What makes you who you are? What is your purpose in life? Do you know, or are you still on a path to discover it?
Discovering our identities, our very beings, is one of the most important things we can do in our lives. It is a question we seek to answer throughout the course of our time here on Earth. I could answer some of the questions above, but I cannot answer them completely. I know bits and pieces of the puzzle of my life, but I am still working to riddle out where those pieces go, and why they are important. I know that my faith sets me apart. It gives me a solid base to stand on. I have conviction because of the conscious choice I made to stay religious. I am grounded in those beliefs and principles. 

As of yet, I do not know my specific purpose here. Throughout my life, I have experienced joy, loss, and, most often, confusion. I have met so many people who all ultimately desire to love and to be loved. Some of my closest friends have been people so lonely, broken, and lost; they feel as if they are not worthy of any good that could come to them. I have seen them when they were struggling to have hope, and their confidence was all but shattered. Memories haunt the back of their minds. For most, another rejection is their greatest fear.

Society simply turns a blind eye. No compassion is shown to them.

These lost and broken people have nowhere to turn. They want to find solace and they don't know where to find it. I never want anyone to feel as if they are unloved. I never want someone to think that they are insignificant, unworthy, or unimportant. They should know that change is always possible, and we are always given a choice, no matter who we are.

We all desire love. Ultimately, we are lost beings without it. I have come across so many people who do not think they are important, or valuable, or beautiful, and it is heartbreaking. I look in the world today, and this is everywhere. People do not love themselves as they should. I sit here, writing this, asking myself, "What can I, of all people, do to help these people, my friends, my loved ones?"

I still do not know. But what I do know is I must find ways, even if they are small ways, to remind them of their worth, their importance, and their beauty. My duty to them is to be a friend they can always rely on. No matter what fears they have, no matter what they have done, no matter what they will do; they are worthy of love and they are worthy of having people in their lives who will hear their stories, even if it is in the smallest of whispers.

One of the things about me is that I look for the good in others and I see the good in others before I see anything else. Knowing a person's heart can tell you who they really are, no matter their faults or shortcomings. My goal for this blog is to remind people that they have dignity and that they are worthy of being loved. I want to help those who are broken and lost. Sometimes it'll just be by listening to them and being a friend. In the future, I want to create films and act in films that reaffirm the value of each person and help people to see that they are not alone in their struggles.

We are so often posed with so many questions, and we don't have a clue or an idea of what to do. We become lost in our doubts, our fears, our pasts, and we don't know how to move forward. When the time comes to make decisions, confusion reigns over our minds. In the search for answers, we cling to what is familiar, but new and foreign concepts cause us to reassess everything we've ever known. We use our faith, our reason and logic, as our guide, but when the choice is set before us, what path do we take? What is the right decision? Do we listen to reason? Or do we use our hearts as our guides? What do we do? What governs our decisions in life?

In the end, we should choose the path that leads us to love. Not simply marital love or love in relationships, but the love that seeks to give of itself to others in some way. Self-sacrificing love. To love another person, to love God, is our greatest calling in life; everything else is secondary. We must not only seek to give love, but we must be gracious and respectful receivers of the love that is given to us.

What path leads you to love others?

When you do find it, follow it and don't look back.

1 comment:

  1. Well, it may not be a long blog, but dang is that still deep. It really does make you think.. such a little spec inside a bigger picture..

    ReplyDelete