Monday, November 24, 2014

Preparation for Thanksgiving and Christmas

Photo Credit: www.stockvault.net
Thanksgiving is this week. Christmas is a month away from tomorrow. Time has been passing so quickly. With Black Friday and all of the other holiday sales coming up, the season doesn't feel as personal as it used to be. When we could be celebrating one another's company, people are out buying things on Thanksgiving night and weekend. 


My favorite part about the season is the feeling I get from all of the cooking I smell, the Christmas music I hear, and the decorations that I see. I enjoy being able to not worry about things. I have friends and family over and we simply have fun. What happened to the times when fun and joy could be found without price? It is certainly nice to get gifts at Christmas, but I feel like we are forgetting the people that make Christmas special: our friends and family. I think, for me, Thanksgiving and Christmas bring a sense of peace and joy that can sometimes be lacking from life. In past years, I would catch up on reading, videogames, and cherish the time off to hang out with friends. In our fast-paced world, it isn't so easy to do anymore.

I think the goal, at least for me, is to slow down this Christmas season. I am going to take the time to invite that friend over, and I am going to relish in being able to be home. I live at home, but because life is so busy, our family isn't always home all at once for prolonged amounts of time. This season, with Washburn students' long break, hopefully I can slow down and take a step back to spend time with the people in my life who really matter.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that people forget what Christmas is all about

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the feeling of Christmas as well. I try to get all my shopping done before Thanksgiving week just so I can enjoy it and not worry about black Friday. I'm also really excited to spend Christmas with my family I have not seen over the holidays in 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanksgiving is a week long family reunion in my family, and that's what its about. Taking the time to be together, thankful, and giving. I love the holidays!

    ReplyDelete